Our client is a large Fresh Produce company, involved with UK retailers and non retail outlets. They are looking for an Agronomist for their Fresh Produce packing facility in Kent.
• To promote agronomic best practice in order that our clients’ grower members may become the most technically competent, profitable and aware in the UK industry, and specifically to:
• Gain full accreditation and qualification in BASIS and FACTS certification schemes.
• Understand and appreciate the overall, holistic, aims of the Advisory Service.
• Undertake regular visits to members’ farms to a schedule agreed with each individual member prior to the commencement of each season.
• To assist in the provision of agronomic support required by each member selected from the Advisory Service menu:
• Performance and production Benchmarking
• Crop production planning
• Fertiliser and Fertigation recommendations
• Environmental management recommendations
• Crop Husbandry recommendations
• Flower mapping interpretation
• Labour profiling
• Supporting research programmes
• Irrigation recommendations
• Pest and disease monitoring and control recommendations
• Plant health testing
• Substrate analysis and management recommendations
• Taking soil or substrate, plant, leaf or sap samples and providing interpretation and advice from the analysis results returned or plant clinic report.
The above should be recorded and advised in a manner agreed upon by the grower and all remedial applications recommended using the Farmade GateKeeper software provided. To write weekly technical notes for inclusion in a regular in house bulletin, circulated to all grower members via the website. This should cover the most relevant current cultural topics for crops, highlighting particular areas of attention in that relevant period.
• To take part in farm walks, meetings and any other such events held to support members and information sharing.
• Support and advise the introduction of beneficial new varieties. Assisting in selecting most suitable varieties for the site, soil and production systems, and to ensure that the best agronomic practices for each of the new varieties are being acted upon and implemented.
• Promote support for Linking Environment and Farming (LEAF) and encourage our clients’ growers to become LEAF members.
• To assist in crop production planning, including guiding growers to assist with the collation of annual crop production statistics, review and agree with the grower and ensure that these are entered accurately within the database.
• Assist growers when requested with the preparation of their weekly crop estimate forecasts so that the level of inaccuracy within the group as a whole is reduced to no more than 10% variance.
• Collate and disseminate via technical notes and grower bulletins useful and pertinent agronomic information obtained from publications, research reports and visits made to non-client UK and foreign producers and research centres.
• Provide information and crop production related material for circulation to members via the website.
• Attend industry meetings and events, providing reports afterwards for distribution to other technical colleagues and, where appropriate, for circulation to members.
• Ability to relate to key client personnel in a professional and credible fashion
• Well developed personal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with a wide range of employees
• Good interpersonal skills and well developed leadership and management skills
• Ability to delegate effectively and to follow-up as appropriate
• Ability to work as part of a team with colleagues across professional, operational and cultural boundaries
• Proactive approach and prompt responses to all service requests
• Ability to identify needs and issues and recommend suitable and pragmatic courses of action and solutions, adopting a risk aware approach
• Good time management and organisational skills with the ability to handle a number of tasks at once and meeting deadlines as required
• Very good organisational skills
• Good IT skills including experience of Word and Excel
BASIS and FACTS qualifications preferred, but not essential.
Reports to: Head of Crop Production and Crop Strategy
Please contact Frank, Georgina or Emma to discuss the role and your experience on 01273 720599. Or if you feel you have the above experience, please send over a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (*not co.uk or com) and we will get back to you with some feedback and more information about the role and the company