Excellent opportunity to join one of the country’s leading fresh produce businesses who have an excellent reputation and track record in their sector. They are looking for a Supplier and Raw Material Technical Manager to join their growing company in Kent.
To provide technical and agronomic support to the company’s factory, growers and packhouses to assist in compliance to their safety, legality and quality requirements.
To manage the intake technical team, and ensure that they provide a service to the team, growers and their packhouses.
To ensure full compliance with legislation and industry/retailer requirements in all aspects of the raw material supply.
The scope of this role includes all raw materials and suppliers which directly impact the finished product – edible ingredient (e.g. fruit), processing aids (e.g. dips), and packaging.
This role will involve working closely with the Technical Services Manager, the Customer Technical Manager, and the Factory Technical Manager. In addition, there will be daily contact with the Operations and Procurement teams, and other head office teams. The post holder will also be in regular contact with suppliers and growers, and will represent their team with retailer and third party auditors.
- Ensure there is adequate provision of technical support to growers and their packhouses to ensure compliance with the company’s requirements
- Confirm approved varieties with suppliers through regular and effective communication with suppliers and procurement. This will include ensuring that the CPA (Customer Product Approval) system is kept up to date, detailing the approved varieties, countries of origin and growers for specific customers.
- Ensure accurate and compliant completion of SAQ’s/Specifications/Risk assessments (including supplier vulnerability assessments).
- Organise and conduct supplier audits as per risk assessments. This includes not only the physical audits of the Supplier’s site, but also regular documented traceability/mass balance audits.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers and understand factors affecting supply
- Advise suppliers on ensuring continued compliance with company requirements
- Advise suppliers on developments to improve quality and yield of fruits
- Coordinate with procurement for the pre and post season planning meetings
- Manage all supplier due diligence to ensure individual customer requirements are met.
- Full working knowledge of Global Gap/Nurture, BRC, SEDEX, LEAF, F2F, WFA, Red Tractor, Assured Produce.
- Pesticide management – which includes having a good understanding of pesticide use, customer requirements and keeping abreast of all legalities.
- Agree and monitor testing frequencies for microbiology & pesticides.
- Awareness and involvement in varietal development
Team Management and Expertise
- To effectively manage team members in a proactive manner on a regular basis. This may include but is not exhaustive to organising team meetings, undertaking performance reviews, completing team administration, managing ad hoc HR issues, recruitment and training/development activities. Direct reports into this role includes the Raw Material Technologists.
- Represent the intake technical team and take responsibility for the delivery of this team’s accountabilities.
- Develop, train, maintain and support the intake technical team to ensure business needs are met. This includes the development of a multiskilled intake team function.
- Provide technical/agronomic expertise and guidance to the company, team members and other parties.
- Ensure that continuous improvement/best practice as well as effective team working is a priority for all.
- Take an active part in the internal audit programme
- Have input and approve raw material/supply/intake based technical procedures.
- Ensuring that site is audit ready at all times
- Involvement in factory waste reduction projects.
Monitor and report on KPIs/ QC reporting
- Manage supplier non-conformances to include the investigation, root cause analysis and corrective action. In addition, communicate with customer/factory team the investigation outcomes.
- Ensure a documented bi-annual review takes place of each supplier, to include the trending of rejections, foreign body issues, microbiology results etc.
- Quantify and analyse technical information and feedback to the management team to influence and support commercial decisions
Manage the process for ensuring all QC Intake data is accurately captured and reported, to include
- Ensure all QC intake data is captured for all deliveries/consignments
- Review and verify report data.
- Analyse and interpret supplier data and prepare supplier product performance summaries.
- Ensure timely communication of QC reports to the wider business
- Ensure that the Hold & Release procedure is followed, and that corrective actions for held items are implemented promptly.
- Supplier audits completed to schedule based on the risk assessment
- QC intake assessment results are fully communicated to the team, and growers/suppliers on at least a daily basis.
- Customer complaint reduction of 10% year on year for fruit quality issues.
- Unannounced audits are passed, site rated ‘Green’ or better. BRC audit of grade A* or AA* is achieved.
Key Skill and Experience Requirements
- A qualified graduate in a Agriculture / Horticulture, Posthavest, Food Technology or similar fields, or extensive equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a food technical role, preferably prepared fresh produce.
- HACCP, Auditing, and a Food Safety qualification are essential.
- Experience of managing a team and supporting and developing direct reports desirable.
- Experience of High Care production of ready to eat fresh produce desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Self-organised approach and the ability to plan a workload
- Resilient with a strong work ethic
- Flexible approach and be willing to adapt ways of working to support team requirements
- Proven time management skills and be accustomed to working with and meeting time critical deadlines
- Good standard of spoken and written English
- Ability to work well under pressure and proactively seek win/win solutions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- In addition, you must hold a full driving licence.
Other Role Requirements
- There is a requirement to travel within the UK and overseas. This includes travel to other Company or off-site meeting locations from time to time.
- Occasional work outside of day office hours will be required – e.g. night shifts, early starts. These will be pre-planned and notified in advance.
Company Initiatives and Compliance
- Take responsibility for the Health and Safety of yourself and others whilst at work
- Support Company Initiatives and demonstrate Company Values.
- To comply with all legal and statutory obligations applicable to the role.
- Participate in training and personal development activities as required
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the Company.
If you feel you have the above experience, please send over a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (*not co.uk or com) and we will get back to you with some feedback and more information about the role and the company