Job Title: Commercial Manager
Reports to: Business Unit Director
The Commercial Manager participates in the creation of the business strategy to attract new and profitable business opportunities. Working towards profitable sales growth through development of multiple-level, long-term relationships with customers; growing and maintaining an ongoing sales channel for new business opportunities. Researches and understands prospective target markets, including company, contacts and which strategies can be used to best attract clients; builds and maintains positive relationships with prospective customers, identifying opportunities and then securing revenue against targets. Works with senior decision-makers within new customer organisations, taking a long term strategic approach for the supply of services. Maximises networking opportunities and regularly uses events and trade shows to increase awareness and develop a further network of contacts.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Creates, implements and delivers the customer long term strategy, across a number of product areas, existing and new, whilst maintaining a consistent brand approach.
- Develops new business relationships, building contacts and networking with other industry professionals, including sustaining effective relationships with existing clients, suppliers and competitors – maintaining an effective source of market intelligence and issues that may affect future new business opportunities.
- Links customer strategy through pro-active collaboration with Operational, Technical and Commercial Teams.
- Liaises, coordinates and maintain excellent working relationships with all relevant internal departments to ensure correct information is incorporated within the design and delivery of communications, including presentations to help attract new business partners.
- Arranges and coordinates customer meetings and visits effectively by being focused, influential, confident and motivated.
- Acts as lead for promoting, advancing, developing and managing the customer relationship in order to maintain sales, elevate growth, uphold the supplier reputation and deliver on service level agreements, budget and rebate rates.
- Promotes various services of the business, including breakthrough products and services, cost reductions and technology assessments.
- Champion the clients services through all marketing channels ensuring brand integrity and position is maintained and enhanced at all times wherever possible.
- Maintains and delivers each area of the Customer Excellence strategy.
- Identifies opportunities. Researches, analyses, develops, plans and provides points of difference to existing & new product development via promotions, packaging, varieties and seasonal availability.
- Communicates effectively and project manage until the point of implementation.
- Lead and support the development of key stakeholders, promoting an awareness of customer service excellence.
- Effective internal networking, selling the capability of the company to maximise sales opportunities.
- Has an awareness of and utilises knowledge of competitor strategy and market focus to gain business advantage.
- Negotiates and agrees customer prices to maintain and increase profit margins whilst guarding against losses, adhering to customer requirements.
- Takes ownership of profit and loss reporting and accurate monthly and weekly forecasting against budgeted plans.
- Complies with all relevant Company policies and procedures, including but not limited to Health, Safety & Wellbeing Policy, Equal Opportunities, Diversity & Dignity at Work Policy and Hygiene Policy
Skills, know-how and experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; time management; self-motivation and excellent organisation are also essential qualities
- Ability to construct professional PowerPoint presentations, utilise MS Word documents and Excel spreadsheets at an advanced level.
- Proven sales experience with experience in a senior relationship management role.
- Excellent negotiation skills, the ability to plan strategically.
- A driven and proactive personality, able to hold others accountable.
- A confident networker, who takes a collaborative approach and delivers results through people.
- Experience of working in the fresh produce industry.
Key performance indicators
- Maintain up-to-date commercial information for each product area across all departments
- Client relationship management and account growth
- New Business Development
- Delivery of performance against agreed strategic goals
Commercial Team, Head of Supply Chain, Supply Chain Team, Technical & QA Teams, Senior Commercial Finance Analyst & Team, Warehouse, Production and Ripening Teams.
Please contact Frank or Georgina on +44 (0) 7734 861 080 or +44 (0) 1273 720 599 to discuss the role and your experience. Or if you feel you have the above experience, please send over a CV to email@example.com (*not co.uk or com) and we will get back to you with some feedback and more information about the role and the company.