Job ID 8770
We have a very exciting role for a highly experienced Technical Manager from the Fresh Produce / Fruit Industry in the UK. Our client is a well respected and well known player in the Fruit Industry and it would be a fantastic opportunity to join their team.
Their offices are based in Kent, however this is a hybrid role with working from home options.
Job Objections and Responsibilities
- Manage and lead the Quality Plan focused on quality improvement of compliance and product.
- Manage the Customer Technical Team and Compliance team to ensure Customer requirements are always maintained.
- Collaborate with the Commercial and Procurement teams to ensure a consist quality and service level focused message is communicated to the customers.
- Collaborate with the QA, and Production teams on creating and implementing quality practices and GMP to ensure product is right first time.
- Ensure management of our certified management systems (including food safety and health & safety), guaranteeing that they are fit for purpose and compliant with current legislation.
- Enabling the monitoring of customer standards and to ensure compliance and industry best practices are upheld.
Team Management and Expertise
- Effectively manage Technical Customer Facing and Compliance team members (including team meetings, undertaking performance reviews, completing team administration, managing ad hoc HR issues, recruitment, and training/development activities).
- Develop, train, maintain and support the team to ensure business needs are met, including the development of a multiskilled team function.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on compliance and quality to the company, team members and other parties
- Ensure the business has the latest updates on customer policies, legislation, regulations, scientific information and technological developments. ·
- Introduce an attitude of continuous improvement and highlight as a priority for all in the QA team.
Product Quality & Safety
- Collaborate with the Technical and Production teams to ensure product meets food safety, legal, quality, authenticity and customer requirements.
- Provide support to the Production teams to drive a quality culture throughout the business.
- Implement best practice within the QA and Production teams to implement and sustain a quality culture.
- Drive the move from QC to QA culture on site.
- Manage the successful completion of daily taste panel sessions and the Taste Panel Coordinator(s).
- Identify and complete effective investigations, route cause analysis and corrective action.
- Support the QA team in completing thorough investigation and follow-up of customer complaints.
- Ensure that the hold procedure is followed, and that corrective actions for held items are implemented and logged promptly.
- Ensure that the issuing of labels (product, tray end or promotional) is controlled and effectively managed.
- Reinstate the factory auto-coding system, ensuring it is fully up to date and working, and that training and understanding of the system is in place throughout the system operators and managers.
- Take ownership of key areas of factory compliance: Fabrication audit, GMP audits, Metal detection, Check weighing, Calibration, Taste panelling. This is not an exhaustive list.
- Collaborate with the Production teams to enable the factory to be audit ready.
- Have input and approve factory based Technical procedures.
- Provide a quality focal point in waste reduction projects.
- Produce, implement, and drive accountability on site for a full suite of KPIs for the QA function to include GMP results, Non-conformances, Concessions and any other key metrics for quality and food safety.
- Empower and enable the introduction of a benchmarking schedule with the Taste Panel Coordinator(s) to identify gaps in quality against competitors.
- Ensure all quality actions are followed through to resolution.
- Have accountability for the maintenance, control of, updates and issue all documents relevant to the site Quality Management Systems to maintain compliance to our externally certified standards (e.g. BRCGS and ISO45001), legal requirements, Customer Codes of Practice and industry best practice.
- Accountable for the development, implementation and monitoring of effective Quality Management systems to ensure that all products are manufactured safely and in line with legislative and customer requirements. Systems to include BRCGS incorporating HACCP/ TACCP/ VACCP, ISO45001 Occupational health and safety management
- To actively contribute to embedding quality culture (food safety, H&S) in the business including the continuous improvement initiatives required by certified standards.
- Enable and enforce the effective management of the internal audit schedule, program and team to maintain a high level of compliance, ensuring that all non-conformances and recommendations are monitored and closed out in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring all audits are completed to schedule and to a satisfactory standard.
- Conduct internal audits as per the internal audit schedule.
- Report the results of the internal audits with grading, agreeing corrective and preventive actions and timescales.
- Report and present KPIs in relation to internal audit completion and findings.
- Utilise details from non-conformances and recommendations to drive continuous improvement across the business to uphold compliance and enhance efficiencies
- Accountable for the effective implementation and maintenance of the BRCGS for Food, ISO45001 and any other relevant customer Code of Practices.
- Responsible for the positive outcome of all quality management system based external audits (BRCGS, Customer Audits, EHO etc.)
- To complete audits on suppliers as required. Legislation and monitoring:
- Advise the business as required with regards to questions or queries on the specific requirements or clauses within relevant legislation and standards.
- Provide technical expertise, knowledge, and advice with regards to Customer and third-party Standards.
- Ensure the annual management review takes place according to documented policies.
- Deliver reports on Key Performance Indicators and other relevant subjects as required.
- Identify external groups of experts that can be consulted and engaged with on upcoming issues. Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the company or your line manager.
- Ensuring positive audit outcomes for the business.
- Management of the QA Team to maintain compliance to food safety, quality, authenticity and legality.
- Enforcement of a quality culture across site.
- Reporting of changes to information to the business to maintain compliance of food safety, quality, authenticity and legality.
- Oversee the management of the internal audit program and completion of audits
Person Specification and Skill Requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Self-organised approach and the ability to plan a workload
- Resilient with a strong work ethic
- Flexible approach and be willing to adapt ways of working to support team requirements
- Proven time management skills and be accustomed to working with and meeting time critical deadlines
- Good standard of spoken and written English
- Ability to work well under pressure and proactively seek win/ win solutions
- Accomplished team manager and motivator
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- In addition, you must hold a full UK driving licence
Specific Knowledge & Experience
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Ideally with HACCP level 4 or above
- Ideally with TACCP/ VACCP training
- Ideally with a food related or scientific degree
- Lead Assessor Audit qualified or internal audit trained
Specific Skills & Experience
- Previous Technical experience with major quality leading retailers.
- Previous Technical experience of FMCG food related manufacturing operations.
- Experience of working with certified management systems, BRCGS, ISO45001
- Ability to interact with high profile customers
- Awareness of ethical trading requirements
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues
Role Requirements and Compliance
Company initiatives and compliance
- To comply with all legal and statutory requirements applicable to the role.
- All individuals are expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their job and may be asked to perform other duties which reasonably correspond to the general character of their job and their level of responsibility.
- Support company initiatives and always demonstrate company values.
- Take responsibility for the Health & Safety of yourself and other, whilst at work and to comply with the company’s policies and legislation.
- All individuals are expected to maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job and participate in appropriate learning and development activities.
- Participate in training and personal development activities as required
- To adhere to all Group and Company Policies and Procedures at all times.
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks and duties as required by the Company.
Key Performance indicators
- H&S (no RIDDORs, accident frequency 10% reduction YOY, 100% accident investigation and reporting)
- Waste meets budget targets
- Labour cost meets budget targets
- Customer audits – no departmental major NCs
- Customer service level (99.9%)
This job description is a summary of the main requirements of the role but is not exhaustive. It may be reviewed and/or updated regularly in discussion with the post holder or as company focus/needs change.
Please send a copy of your CV to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to apply, or call 07734 861080 to discuss the role in more detail.