Job: Senior Quality Manager Citrus
Reporting to: Head of Technical & Quality
A well known family business who are a hugely successful Fresh Produce packer, grower and exporter established in Morocco are looking to expand their team. They export our products all around the world – but have a particularly strong emphasis on supplying the leading UK retailers.
With such a large and expanding business they are always looking for experienced, talented senior managers to help drive their business forward. Currently they are looking for the new position of Senior Quality Manager
You will have experience of ‘deep water’ citrus container traffic. Typically, source countries to Russia , India, South Africa, China and Europe.
You will understand and where necessary initiate and install best practice and customer protocols e.g. Trade with the Far East.
You will also expect to reinforce and as necessary install sustainable best practice within the Moroccan grower base. Although you are not an Agronomist you will be capable of employing the latest Pre and Post Harvest procedures and process to ensure efficiency and quality targets are met.
The role will involve managing the day-to-day food safety and quality of all Fresh Produce produced on 2 sites through the development, implementation and ongoing management of robust, food safety & quality systems.
To control all site quality activities in line with technical, operational, financial and other targets.
To ensure the site meets the legal and regulatory requirements as well as customer and industry standards in Food Safety and Quality Management, and to ensure audit-ready standards every day.
This role will suit someone who has previous Quality Management experience in Fresh Produce (Ideally Citrus), a people person with excellent communication skills, Good Project Management skills and eager to make a change.
• Resource Management – efficiently manage the Quality Assurance teams at 2 sites
• Quality Management System – ensure systems meet legal, customer and best practice requirements
• Process Control – ensure processes are effective in managing optimal quality outcomes
• Continuous Improvement – pro-actively contribute to improvements
Responsibilities in detail
• Ensure that the product quality & safety standards are maintained at all times and that the product meets the customer’s specification and is legally compliant in all aspects
• Be the main point of contact for internal/external quality issues and resolution
• Manage, develop and deliver quality improvement plans
• Ensure that our packhouses are audit ready at all times and the strict GMP standards are maintained throughout the manufacturing site.
• Manage the scheduled auditing of safety, legality and GMP standards of the site
• Manage regular documented checks on all areas and lines of manufacture and packing, including paperwork checks to ensure correct completion.
• Ensure validation and verification of processes occurs according to schedule
• Ensure lines are monitored during production and report any issues in relation to quality or product safety
• Manage sampling, checks, tests, swabbing and other conformance requirements according to required schedules, including logging of samples into laboratory system
• Conduct documented investigations and closure of non-conformances, using Root Cause Analysis
• Ensure the completion of records and logs for all activities according to procedure
• Organise and carry out specified projects
• Must be a good communicator with the ability to interact with other teams/functions
• Able to communicate effectively in either English or French (ideally both)
• Ability to prioritise effectively
• Ability to remain calm and professional in a sometimes pressurised environment
• A passion for product quality
The ideal candidate would also have:
• An appreciation of where the quality of citrus is at risk in a supply chain
• An understanding of the influence of agronomy on postharvest quality
• A knowledge of the biological basis of factors determining citrus quality and how to manage the interacting factors involved
• The ability to identify and control quality problems in citrus
• An understanding of the sources of microbiological, pest and disease contamination on citrus and how they can be contained
• The ability to recommend appropriate technologies for extending shelf life and reducing biological degradation of the crop
Requirements and Qualifications
• Role holder will have previous knowledge & experience of a Quality Management role in fresh produce
• Working knowledge and familiarity with auditing processes – BRC etc.
• HACCP trained • Basic understanding of Microbiology
• Knowledge of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) and Food Safety compliance
• Computer literate, good oral and written communication skills
• Ideally Agric/Hortic/ food science degree (or equivalent)
• Attractive competitive salary
• Relocation package is available
• Generous Holiday allowance …
Please contact the FMK Consulting team on 01273 720 599 / 07734 861 080 to discuss the role and your experience.
Or if you feel you have the above experience, please send over a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (*not co.uk or com) and we will get back to you with some feedback and more information about the role and the company.